Monday, May 11, 2015

Round Two...Let's Get This Party Started!


We left Martinique on a 3 day sail to Antigua with our core 5 crew plus our extra seasonal crew mate.  Having all returned from a month off after the boat was delivered from our last home in New Zealand, we were fresh and chatty.  Late night watches along the way were peppered with stories of our different vacations and experiences as we glided through the calm waters of the Caribbean to our new neighborhood. I had never been to Antigua before and each of the crew took turns describing their version of what to expect, all pretty much saying the same thing.  I got the gist that I was heading into party-ville with a lot of familiar faces and a lot of yachties (yacht workers).  One cannot complain to be anywhere in the Caribbean with its kind inhabitants, bountiful tropical fruits, fresh seafood, gorgeous weather, and pristine beaches.  However if you've done one Caribbean season, you have seen the depths to which crew can get themselves to.  It is a test of one's longevity in this industry at times because the music plays all night, the drugs are plentiful, the drinks are strong and inexpensive, and there are many yachts with many beautiful crew with lots of money to spend having fun.  I had not enjoyed my last Caribbean season all that much feeling a bit overwhelmed by all that was around me.  I breathed deep before we arrived having just had a lovely relaxing spiritual retreat in Bali and mentally buckled up for the anticipated ride.  
Arriving early in the morning I jumped out on deck as the dock guys with big smiles helped secure our lines.  It was starting out to be a beautiful sunny day, the weather warm and breezy.  I helped with fenders and assisted lowering the gangway, looking around.  We were sandwiched between two large yachts and the marina was buzzing with early morning dock traffic as golf carts with dock workers rolled along wooden planks.  I smiled at the stewardess who laughed back at me as man after man after man walked down the dock.  It was like a scene out of a movie I would pay to be in.  Everywhere I turned there was a yacht with several crew hanging over the rail to check out the new arrival.  I was giddy to be docked somewhere new for a couple months and I think the crew was giddy to be back somewhere they had fond memories and would be able to see old friends.  Like bulls let out of a pen, our very social and lively crew took to the scene quickly and developed our routine. Tuesday nights at Scullduggerys for live music and espresso martinis, Thursday and Friday nights at Mad Mongoose for live music and pool, paddle boarding to Catherine's on Pigeon Beach for rose` wine lunches and then finishing off Sunday evenings at Club Sushi.  We went for kite surfing lessons on the weekends and runs around the hills after work each day. For the first time in a long time I also found myself hanging out with a good core of girl friends which made the experience all that much more enjoyable.  Yachting seemed, if only for this quick season, like our world with our rules. We'd lay on the beach on the weekends or stroll up the street to the pub for a game of pool and gossip about who on what boat had made out with who and talk about our summer itineraries in Europe and how we could meet up.  We laughed over bottles of rose` and danced like fools to the local live music and had good one on one conversations about our futures and where we saw ourselves after getting off boats. Opposite to my apprehensions, life lightened during this awesome time full of get-togethers, dinners, relaxation, and a buzz of constant boats coming and going. Our crew also became good friends with the crew of the yacht next door and spent a lot of time hanging out with them.  Being on watch wasn't so bad anymore because you could just lean over the wooden rails at night with a glass of wine and chat up the person on watch next door.  They became our kite surfing buddies, gym partners, and dates to almost every event.  And though we were very socially active, I truly enjoyed the moments I was able to take to myself and the meditation that I was able to maintain each day.  The Goat Trail was one of my favorite after work hikes and/or runs with a beautiful view of the bay and sunset.  I would run back down through Nelson's Dockyard, through town, and back to the boat where I sat on the bow in meditation as often as I could after work.  So many great memories of this time that I truly have no complaint.  I may have left Antigua worn out, but with no regret and with a lot of fond memories. On our departure, the boat horns of our friends echoed in the harbor as we made our bittersweet departure from our little neighborhood and began our journey across the Atlantic to Spain. 
We just arrived today to Palma de Mallorca after 17 days at sea and a few in Gibraltar.  We begin a busy summer schedule we so desperately need after such spoiling.  One's feet much touch the ground of reality at some point, though being in Spain seems a dream all on its own!  The trip was calm and as easy as can be expected for an ocean crossing.  Lots of book reading, writing, and movie swapping. We were a bit quieter this trip, all of us "sea-toxing" after enjoying the fat of the land that was Antigua.  A large majority of the boats that were with us in Antigua will be docked with us again, our community transplanted to a new country.  I am looking forward to being based somewhere for more than 6 months and the opportunities ahead to go home to see loved ones and faces that I have waited too long to see.  I am also looking forward to this European season ahead and the many exciting trips we have planned this summer.  Antigua was an amazing time but I cannot help but think it was just a warm up…Lets get this party started already!

No comments:

Post a Comment